Collection of genealogical and historical sources, with coverage dating back to the 1700s. Search U.S. census records, full-text family and local history books, Freedman's Bank records and more.
Audience: High School, College/Research, Public, Genealogy
HeritageQuest consists of five core data sets:
- U.S. Federal Censuses feature the original images of every extant federal census in the United States, from 1790 through 1950, slave, veteran, and non-population schedules, and more related content.
- Genealogy and local history books provide more than 7 million digitized page images from over 28,000 family histories, local histories, and other books.
- Revolutionary War records provides access to the complete NARA Series M804 collection - Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, a collection of an estimated 83,000 application files from officers and enlisted men who served in the Revolutionary War in all branches of the American military: army, navy, and marines.
- Freedman’s Bank Records, with more than 480,000 names of bank applicants, their dependents, and heirs from 1865–1874, offers valuable data that can provide important clues to tracing African American ancestors and researching the Reconstruction Era.
- U.S. Congressional Serial Set records the memorials, petitions, private relief actions made to the U.S. Congress back to 1789, with a total of more than 480,000 pages of information.